SEC 5: How do you defend against emerging security threats?
Staying up to date with AWS and industry best practices and threat intelligence helps you be aware of new risks. This enables you to create a threat model to identify, prioritize, and implement appropriate controls to help protect your workload.
Keep up to date with organizational, legal, and compliance requirements: Stay up to date with organizational, legal, and compliance requirements that enable you to adjust your security posture to comply.
Define and prioritize risks using a threat model: Use a threat model to identify and maintain an up to date register of potential threats. Prioritize your threats and adjust your security posture to respond.
Plan your defense
- Plan regular reviews: Create a calendar of review activities that includes compliance requirements, evaluation of new AWS security features and services, and staying up to date with industry news.
- Discover AWS services and features: Discover the security features that are available for the services that you are using, and new features
as they are released.
AWS security blog
AWS security bulletins
AWS service documentation
AWS security best practices
- Subscribe to industry news: Regularly review news feeds from multiple sources that are relevant to the technologies used in your workload.
- Subscribe to threat intelligence sources: Regularly review threat intelligence information from multiple sources that is relevant
to the technologies used in your workload.
Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE)
- Define AWS service on-boarding process: Define processes for on-boarding of new AWS services. Include how you evaluate new AWS services for functionality, and the compliance requirements for your workload.
- Create a threat model: Create a threat model to identify and address potential security threats.
- Consider AWS Shield Advanced service: Consider using AWS Shield Advanced as it provides near real-time visibility into attacks,
in addition to 24x7 access to the AWS DDoS Response Team (DRT).
Implement defense mechanisms
- Test new AWS security features and services: Testing new AWS security features and services ensures they meet your requirements and provide the desired outcome.
- Implement AWS security features and services
- Implement other defense mechanisms